Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Sunday Sunday Sunday!!!

I asked for it, So I can't complain. Christian told me about a ride up to Mt. Wilson that he was planning when I popped into the shop on Thursday of last week. "Hell yea you can count me in!" I said enthusiastically. I knew that Leo would be going, and that would push the pace up a little despite this being a "slow" ride. Whatever though, I could handle it. I was also excited to take the C40 on the first big climbing ride. Mt. Wilson is an 18 mile climb to the peak, and you gain nearly 6500 ft. in the process. The ride was going to be a simple route. From Griffith Park we'd head out to Sun Valley and follow the Love ride up La Tuna. Once over we'd descend through Montrose and then hit the 2 and head up the hill. Once on top of the mountain we'd simply turn around and head down the hill. Easy, right? Wrong.

I did everything right the day before. I ate a light lunch with carbs and drank lots of water. That night I made a big pasta dinner, ate a pretty large amount and drank more water. I went to bed at around midnight. I woke up at 7:30 feeling rested and ready to go. I ate more pasta for breakfast, got dressed and rolled out. I met the guys at Griffith Park. The ride consisted of a few guys from John's including Christian and Leo, a couple PAA guys, and a couple other guys I didn't recognize. We rolled out with the love ride, setting an easy pace at about 15 mph. We got to the base of La Tuna and began the climb. I didn't feel like we were going that fast but I was quickly spit out the back by Leo and a couple other riders. I spent the rest of the climb trying to catch my breath.

I decided at this point to take Wilson at my own pace, regardless of everyone else. We made our way to Angeles Crest and began the climb. The group stayed together pretty well until the first ranger station. then it splintered. I ended up clinging to second to last place. At one point, I saw Christian and Jim had been dropped by Leo, and they were only a minute or so up the road. I decided to tempo back to them. That would be my goal for the day. Get to them and that's it. I did, eventually, and was then promptly dropped again as Jim rolled out to Catch Joseph. The rest of the ride I spent feebly climbing in my 23 trying to keep enough fluid in me so I wouldn't pass out. My gearing wasn't hurting me at all, and my legs felt great climbing in that gear, I just couldn't get my lungs to support a higher cadence than I was already turning. The climb felt good by the end. I had controlled my breathing and didn't ever put myself in any sort of trouble. I did have to slow a couple times, but whatever, I finished, and that was my goal. I arrived at the Clear Creek Station to find the group sitting in the shade, looking thoroughly beat to shit. a couple guys looked O.K. but even Leo looked a little mangled. Christian let me know that some of the group would be heading down the mountain now instead of going all the way to Mt. Wilson. "Fine with me" I sputtered. I filled my bottles and we started the descent. By the time we got to the Chevy Chase everyone had recovered some and the attacks began again. My dumb ass was leading the charge up Chevy Chase, forgetting that the road pitched up significantly at the end. Of course my fat ass was handed to me again by the group. Whatever, I didn't care at this point. I took my time down the road, until I saw Christian, pulling himself out of a pile of leaves on the other side of the hairpin I was about to negotiate. We paced down to Glendale and caught part of the group at Verdugo. On our way back to the park there was some talk about adding the climb in Griffith Park, but that was quickly voted down. Instead Christian and I took turns attacking each other through Griffith Park. I turned home on Sonora, and headed back to Burbank. Once on top of Kenneth I realized just how tired I was. I got back to Corina's, cracked a beer and hopped in the shower. I spent the rest of the day lounging around with a mopey demeanor.

Side notes:

The new bike handled great. I love it. It climbs like a fucking champ. Since Sunday I've been riding to and from Corina's. I haven't driven my car since I think Friday or something like that. Isn't she nice? yea. Nice.

No comments: