Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Ride of Silence 2008, Pasadena CA.

Tonight was the 2008 edition of the Ride of Silence, which is an event that goes on world wide. I attended the Pasadena chapter, which was at the Rose Bowl. The Pasadena ride is organized by Rick Babington, Well known cycling coach and member of PAA. For those of you not familiar with the ride of silence simply scroll down a couple of entries and read the entry about the Ride of Silence. The ride happened as it usually does, with a reading of the Ride of Silence poem, in English and Spanish, and then a reading of names of victims. There were just over 100 participants here for the ride, It seems that some must have joined right as we rolled out because the number of people in this picture doesn't seem to be as high as the number at the end. This is fine with me, the more the merrier...



Out of all the rides I do all year, this 3 lap, 9 mile, slow paced ride is the most impactful, and it's the only one that I remember each moment of each year I participate. I go on some pretty sweet rides, in some pretty sweet places, but I think that because of the emotional weight of this ride is what makes it stand out to me. This ride, to me at least, is us doing a little for those who have passed on, through no fault of their own, due to careless motorists. Tonight I heard of a friend's sister being hit in Arizona, by a drunk driver. The first thing I thought of was Paul L'Ecuyer.



At the end of the ride I tried to get around to everyone with the Jersey's and say thank you. Rick gave me a shout and I got to say a piece about the jersey which was totally unexpected and awesome. And there were about 10 of us with the Jersey out tonight, which was awesome. I realized tonight that the jersey isn't really a jersey any more, but a movement, with a solid awesome grassroots beginning. Things are going to be awesome, and I'm sure I have lots to say about it but I'm wicked tired right now so I'm going to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sounds awesome man, bummed i missed it. was stuck at work till midnight....again....