Monday, July 7, 2008

Half Way There...Death Ride is a comin' !!!

Well, Here we are in July. July 4th weekend was kind of my mental half way point, and I'm happy to say that I'm still alive and kicking it. The past couple weeks have been somewhat slow when it comes to the news, but after this week things will be back on pace again. July 4th weekend consisted of an awesome camping trip to Silverwood Lake, Northeast of Los Angeles. If you ever want to go on a camping trip with some great climbing at altitude, Silverwood Lake should be your choice...



I brought my bike, but with the exception of rolling around the lake with friends it stayed leaned against the tree most of the time. I did go for a quick 20 mile ride to Crestline and back though. That ride was crazy. I rolled out, and the road was nice and wide with a big shoulder. Once I got past the lake the shoulder disappeared and the road went up and up, and up, and up... at 16-20%. Holy Crap, man, between the gradient, the thin air and the 7 beers I drank the night before I was having some trouble. I got to Crestline and turned around... I had had enough.

Back to the half year thing, so yea, I'm half way done. Here's the rides I've done so far:

The Stagecoach Century
Tour de Palm Springs
Solvang Century
Mulholland Challenge
Cruisin' the Conejo
Heartbreak Hundred
Ojai Century
Ride around the Bear
L.A. Wheelman Double Century

So basically, 6 more to go. After the Death Ride it will be 5, one a month at this point. The Death Ride is really my Penultimate effort, 129 miles and 15,000 ft. of climbing. After this it's going to be easier centuries that I'll start riding faster...hopefully. I'll be leaving Friday morning early, with the hopes of getting a "First Come" campsite close to the start. If not I'll be doing some Roadside Camping. I'll be bringing the EZ-UP, some chairs, and a cooler full of beer and some food. So if you're going to be at the Death Ride look for the Dirty '95 Camry and say hello!

No comments: