Monday, January 7, 2008

The Week in Review

The first week of 2008 has come and gone and I'm none the wiser for it. I might be a little fatter for it, since this weekend was nothing but rain and rain, and I just couldn't will myself away from the XBox 360. Here are a few things that happened last week that merit some coverage...

Crazy guy sabotages bike trails to gain sick revenge on cyclists he's never met:

To give further credence to my belief that everyone located south of the 10 freeway is completely insane is this story reported on KNBC News. Apparently this 50 year old was walking his dog on a MTB trail and was passed a bit to close by a Mountain biker. In retaliation for the poor judgment by that one Mountain Biker the guy decides to sabotage the trail for ALL mountain bikers, since you know, we're like the Borg in the fact that we all share one brain.

Click here for Crazy guy story

Another Dead Cyclist, Another Motorist who will talk about how painful the situation is for him

in the continuing saga of Motorists vs. Cyclists, a Fed Ex Driver ran down a kid on a bike in Santa Cruz where, according to local comments on the Sentinel website, there was clear markings on street signs giving cyclists the right of way. This apparently wasn't enough, as the Fed Ex truck turned right and plowed the cyclist down, killing him to the point of being pretty much dead. Like all motorists who hit and/or kill cyclists, I'm sure he'll do everything he can to avoid responsibility, not say sorry to the poor family of the deceased, and go on and on about how difficult his life has been since the accident. Poor Mr. Fed Ex driver, I'm sure this event will leave an unimaginable scar on your existence that is totally comparable to the pain and suffering the family and friends of the cyclist you killed are feeling.

Click here for big time Sadness

Elected officials continue to not care

In typical, completely pre-packaged fashion I received this response from Barbara Boxer to my letter writing campaign regarding the bicycle commuter tax break issue being left out of the energy bill.

Thanks Babs. Thanks for reminding me that civic action is completely useless unless you have millions of dollars or lots of guns and explosives.(read below to see what I mean)

Dear Mr. Keizer:
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your views with me. Your comments will help me continue to represent you and other Californians to the best of my ability. Should the Senate consider legislation on this or similar issues, I will keep your views in mind.

If you would like additional information about my work in the U.S. Senate, you might wish to visit my website, http://boxer.senate.gov. From this site, you can access my statements and press releases about current events and pending legislation, request copies of legislation and government reports, and receive detailed information about the many services that I am privileged to provide for my constituents. You may also wish to visit http://thomas.loc.gov to track current and past federal legislation.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. I appreciate hearing from you.

I'm so glad my letters are being read by people who care.

Stuff About Me and Share The Road/15 Rides

I spoke with my Rep at Champion Systems today and the Jersey's should be here by Thursday. This is very exciting to me since I wasn't expecting them to show up in time for my first century which is this weekend. The Stage Coach Century is the first of my 15 centuries and happens this weekend in Ocotillo. For those of you who aren't familiar with were Ocotillo is, its about halfway between the boonies and bumble fuck.

No comments: