Monday, November 3, 2008

Day Light Savings Time

Well, That part of the year is upon us again. It's the time of year when the air grows crisp and the morning chill pricks your ears and nose like thousands of tiny little needles. Yes, it's that time of year when the leaves on the trees turn bright and vibrant reds and yellows and oranges. It's that time of year where lovers cuddle up with scarves and hot cocoa by the fire and relish the warmth of each others company to stave off the frigid night air. Yes, It's fall, and all of these things are beautiful seasonal reminders that mask a bitter truth...

It's soon going to be too cold to ride. Which is why I moved to California. Well, truth be told, I didn't move here to extend my cycling season, I'd like to think I'm that dedicated to my passion and fitness, but I'm not. Truth is I only learned of that wonderful benefit after I had followed one of the thousands of delusional female college graduates who migrate to L.A. to pursue a career in the entertainment industry only to be chewed up and spit out because they simply "Don't have what it takes", or are simply too hooked on the pot or too lazy. But regardless of that after we went our separate ways I found Team in Training and quickly got back on the bike and started riding. The only thing that gets in the way of my cycling now is my lack of a proper lighting system and daylight savings time. Yes, that confounding, jump in time that falls about half way though the fall and lasts through the winter and into the spring really cuts into my riding time. What this ends up meaning for me is that now is the time when I start telling everyone "yea, I'm gonna hit the rollers tonight" even though I'm not going to because I'll be drinking beer. So now I'm trying to figure out ways to manipulate the sunlight hours with my iPhone and despite what WiZaRdofTiMe2099 on the iPhone Chat Forums tells me I just can't seem to get anything to work. I suppose it wouldn't be that big of a deal if I could just get my lazy rear end out of bed at a time that most senior citizens saw fit but I can't. I don't like getting up early, so until I get into my 60's or 70's I'll continue to think that daylight savings time sucks.

No comments: